Chapter 1

Saryf and Xavier embark to explore a jungle mystery!
User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Auryn »

Saryf grinned widely, the flattery of the request sending joy bursting through his expression. He giggled with Xavier briefly.

"Well, as I had said, we could certainly use a brewer on our team. It can be exciting at times, very much so. At times we do leave the city, go compete in other places. It's quite a good time! If we win, the pay is good. If not, we manage. It'd be wonderful to have you on our team. There's actually a night competition coming up in a few days."

Saryf watched Xavier as he initially left the question of touch alone, hesitating briefly at the end of his last sentence before adding, "and as for the other thing, I think it's safe to say that there's plenty of downtime off the track." He flashed Xavier a subtle smile, lowering the tops of his eyelids slightly and raising an eyebrow.
andrav
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Post by andrav »

Xavier liked the look on Saryf's face and the way he mirrored Xavier's giggles, but it made it difficult to actually eat anything. Xavier took another sip of his tea.

"Well, as I had said, we could certainly use a brewer on our team. It can be exciting at times, very much so. At times we do leave the city, go compete in other places. It's quite a good time! If we win, the pay is good. If not, we manage. It'd be wonderful to have you on our team. There's actually a night competition coming up in a few days," Saryf said, and a mixture of emotions began bubbling in Xavier's stomach.

Would Xavier be able to get away from his work long enough to travel with Saryf's team? Would his grandmother be all right? But Xavier shook his head, deciding then and there that he wasn't going to pass up the [i]opportunity of a lifetime[/i]. And besides, Saryf hadn't actually invited Xavier to go--would they need a brewer to travel with them, or...? Xavier was realizing he knew little to nothing about the actual practicalities of racing. But, wait, had Saryf dodged Xavier's flirting? Xavier's cheeks grew warm with embarrassment.

"And as for the other thing," Saryf said, alighting a fresh wave of butterflies in Xavier's stomach, "I think it's safe to say that there's plenty of downtime off the track." Saryf offered Xavier a small smile with one eyebrow raised somewhat mischievously. Xavier let out a nervous giggle.

"So, um..." Xavier said, buying time to compose himself, "being a brewer. What's that like on a professional team? Is potion making, like, timed, or is it a bring-whatever-you-can-stock kind of situation?"
User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Auryn »

"Hmmmm... Well, in the official races for the Pharaoh, no brewing is allowed beyond what the court brews for healing injuries and the like. But the night races are no-rules... That's what makes them exciting and why folks like betting on them. Well, close to no-rules. Nothing expressly illegal is allowed, for example you can't go and murder the other team's driver. But anything that would be legal outside of a race is permitted, and at times during the race itself it can get dangerous for drivers." Saryf took a sip of their own tea before continuing. He looked out the window, admiring some far away clouds as he focused his mind on how best to communicate what brewing might be like for Xavier should he join.

"It's different for each team, but what you're looking at would be... Well, to be direct; you'd be in charge of anything alchemy related in our pit stop. It'll be however you want to work it, whatever is best for you. Ideally you'd be on hand during a race to respond to changing conditions. There would be aspects of a time crunch for that; you'd be brewing protections or enhancements on the fly to respond to the conditions our spotters see on the track. For example, if someone has magical darkness they're wielding against our driver, that'd be one type of thing to deal with; but if someone is blinding drivers with flashes of light, that'd be different. Whatever enhancements you can give to our driver's sight would depend on what they're facing, and the sooner we can give those to our driver the better."

Saryf placed his right ankle on his left knee in a sort of legs crossed stance, "Each time our chariot rolls in for a pit stop is an opportunity to prepare them for what they might face. I have a team on the chariot, switching what kinds of wheels are on it, tending to the animals, that sort of thing. You'd be looking out for our driver more directly, giving them whatever boons you can; but also doing so safely so not to negatively impact their health. That kind of precision in a time crunch is a big ask, I know, only the best brewers can manage that kind of thing consistently; and I know there's also the time commitment too."

"Saryf returned his gaze to Xavier, "That said, if you're not as available for that, we can use some generic benefits prepared ahead of time as well. Wards against danger, a little luck charm, a bit of nightvision for nights where the moon doesn't shine... Nobody's expecting miracles... nobody's expecting anything, really. I just..." Saryf returned his gaze to Xavier, and he allowed them a wandering glance up and down before returning to Xavier's face.

"Our meeting was very fortunate," Saryf smiled, "And if you wish to join the team, whatever you can do would be very helpful as well." Saryf paused there, eager to see how Xavier would respond.
andrav
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Post by andrav »

As Saryf spoke about the conditions the brewer would experience--the quick adjustment to conditions on the track, the time crunch during the pit stops, the ways the brewer cared for the driver's health--Xavier found himself leaning further and further over the table in obvious interest.

What Saryf described was a far cry from what Xavier's grandmother did methodically in her mixing room, but... maybe it didn't always need to be that way. How would the plants feel about the rush? Xavier wondered.

And yet, there was a pull, an intrigue, a curiosity. Xavier was no master brewer, but could he pull something like this off? He wanted to imagine he could.

"Nobody's expecting miracles," Saryf said. "Nobody's expecting anything, really. I just..." Saryf's eyes connected with Xavier's but then wandered over Xavier's shoulders. Xavier grinned widely--he couldn't help it.

"Our meeting was very fortunate," Saryf said with a smile. "And if you wish to join the team, whatever you can do would be very helpful as well."

Xavier thought for a moment, many questions bubbling to mind at once.

"Would you... drink the potions? Would you be the driver?" Somehow, it was altogether a different matter if Xavier were going to brew potions spontaneously for a stranger.
User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Auryn »

Saryf giggled. He found Xavier's interest endearing. "I've driven a few times, but typically no. Syd is our driver for now; though when anything happens that prevents him from driving, our team pulls together for whoever we think the next best driver will be. I do all right, when I cover; but I'm no Syd. Hells, if you have any experience, maybe you'd be the one we count on; though then you'd obviously not be able to brew also."
andrav
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Post by andrav »

Saryf laughed, and Xavier tried not to stare. He looked down at his food and took another bite.

His head snapped up when Saryf spoke, though.

"I've driven a few times, but typically no." Xavier couldn't help the way his face fell, though he tried to recover, perhaps somewhat badly--landing on a sad smile.

Saryf continued, "Syd is our driver for now, though when anything happens that prevents him from driving, our team pulls together for whoever we think the next best driver will be. I do all right, when I cover; but I'm no Syd. Hells, if you have any experience, maybe you'd be the one we count on; though then you'd obviously not be able to brew also."

The idea of being a driver himself was a bit daunting, but there was an appeal to it as well, he supposed.

"Oh," Xavier said down toward the table. But then he perked up again, having had an idea. "But you might need to sample the potions I make, right?"
User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Auryn »

"Um... I... suppose? I could..." Saryf pondered the question for a moment, searching for the intention behind the question. "I would certainly be there with you, we're a team; after all. Is there... something specific to me about the potion making?"
andrav
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Post by andrav »

"Um... I... suppose? I could..." Saryf said, looking puzzled. "I would certainly be there with you, we're a team; after all. Is there... something specific to me about the potion making?"

Xavier realized that he had shown his cards a bit too much, eyes widening with embarrassment, his face blushing red even through his sun-baked skin.

He then furrowed his eyebrows, attempting to look serious. "No, no... they would work on anyone. I just... Well, I don't know the other team members yet."
User avatar
Auryn
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Auryn »

"Oh! Of course! You'd meet the team first; I won't throw you into things blind!" Saryf gave a playful laugh. "Besides, if you want to join then you'll be a full team member. You'd absolutely have to meet everyone, we wouldn't keep you out of the loop except for race days or anything like that." Saryf grabbed one of the savory flatbreads with coriander and seeds and took a nibble while switching which leg was crossed over which, maintaining a relaxed and friendly pose. He swallowed his small nibble and added, "We're a friendly bunch; the team. I'm sure you'll get along great, but you could certainly meet them before you make a decision if you like." Saryf took a larger bite of the flatbread, enjoying its flavor and anticipating Xavier's voice upon his ears.
andrav
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Re: Chapter 1

Post by andrav »

"Oh! Of course! You'd meet the team first; I won't throw you into things blind!" Saryf said, laughing boisterously. Xavier laughed a little alongside him, a little embarrassed. He realized he hadn't eaten much, his stomach being full of butterflies, but the flatbread with honey and butter did look delicious. "Besides, if you want to join then you'll be a full team member," Saryf continued as Xavier buttered a piece of the bread. "we wouldn't keep you out of the loop except for race days or anything like that." Xavier wasn't exactly sure what he meant by that, but it made sense that the team would be busy on race days, too busy to keep a potionmaster up to date, unless, of course, they were at the race themselves. Xavier imagined it for a moment, standing at the edge of the track, a table full of glass bottles at the ready. It wasn't exactly a sacred use of magic the way his grandmother would prefer, but magic also needed an outlet, and this type of play was as good as any other.

"We're a friendly bunch; the team. I'm sure you'll get along great, but you could certainly meet them before you make a decision if you like." Saryf was idly munching on the other flatbread, a couple seeds having fallen from it after a particularly large bite, and Xavier giggled a little.

Having more friends did sound nice, as did belonging to something. There was an ache in his chest at the thought.

"That'd probably be a good idea," Xavier said when his giggles had subsided. After a moment, though, he pulled his lips together to one side and looked up at the vines above them. "I wouldn't have to brew up dangerous potions, right? I'm not sure I could promise they'd work as intended. I mean, I could experiment with some things, but I don't actually want anyone getting hurt."

((OOC: Hopefully it was okay to take a liberty with the seeds. It seemed like a lil cute moment.))
Post Reply