Road to Repair: Rav and Nick
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2024 12:11 am
Over the past five years, Rav had gotten good at shutting off his responses. He remained stoic and matter-of-fact in much of his work, and he kept himself at a distance. He had few friends and spent more time than he probably needed to at work. At the clinic, Rav saw all manner of person, and most of the time, he didn't give them a second glance. He competently drew their blood and sent them on their way. And, he was good at what he did, so it was no wonder that, eventually, his coworkers started sending all the difficult draws to Rav. He appreciated the challenge, and he liked feeling like he had done well, so this worked for him. But that also meant that his coworkers sent him patients who were at risk of fainting.
Whatever the reason, Rav found himself relaxing and opening up around patients who thought they might faint. He wanted to be reassuring and attentive, charismatic and tender. He enjoyed that he needed to spend a little extra time with them to make sure they wouldn't have a reaction, liked that he had more permission to get them anything they needed. And, maybe, just maybe, he felt some thrill in the idea that something could go terribly wrong--but didn't.
Sure, there were times when Rav fucked up. And maybe times when there was nothing Rav could have done. But, those days were few and far between, and he could honestly say that, most days, he liked his job.
He certainly liked his job more than his home life, that was for sure. He often didn't know what to do with himself and would end up down YouTube rabbit holes that led no way. "How to come back from a mistake?" never really yielded positive results. But, he did manage to find a therapist that would take his insurance, and after a few sessions, he finally told her what happened.
"I was at a party with some friends in college, and we were all trashed. There was a girl who had been drinking more than anyone else, and she was... flirting pretty heavily. One of my friends dared me to take her to bed, and I... did." Admitting this to someone was terrifying, and he expected at any moment for his therapist to tell him she was going to call the police, but instead, she kept listening. "She didn't remember anything in the morning, but she seemed upset and left quickly. I didn't think about it much at all after that until I came across some memes about safe sex, and..." Rav couldn't meet the therapist's eyes even though the call was over Zoom. "...I realized what I'd done. What I was. I haven't been able to get back in contact with her--I don't even know her last name--and I've sworn off relationships until I can figure this out. It's just... it's been three years now, and I..." Rav tried not to cry, and he could feel his stony expression closing in. Gods, he hated himself for this. It was such a stupid, stupid thing to do. "Should I... do you think I belong in prison?"
The therapist was quiet for a long time. Finally, she said, "I don't think I know of anyone who was better off having gone to prison. If you really want to work on this in yourself, you have to forgive yourself. You have to go back to that memory and find a way to do things differently, or at least make it right."
For over a year, they worked with the Internal Family Systems model of therapy, trying to unlock all the reasons why Rav had done what he did. He came out of most of those sessions feeling raw and overwhelmed, but he was starting to believe that it might be possible for him to rebuild his life. Maybe, just maybe, he could try again one day.
Eventually, when he confessed to his therapist that he was still afraid of sex, she asked him, "Have you ever heard of surrogate partner therapy?" Rav had done a lot of research, and though it was in a legal gray area, it sounded like the safest way for him to start recovering from this mess. "Be completely honest with her. Let her make her own decisions about what she thinks is safe. And I'll work directly with her, too. It's going to be all right."
His therapist gave him some recommendations for surrogate partners in his area, and finally, he took the plunge and called one--Hannah.
He'd been meeting with Hannah for four months now, and he was nearing the end of his set of sessions with her. She said he was ready to try a real relationship, especially after he'd started going to a contact improv dance class on his days off, but Rav wasn't so sure.
At work one day, a young man walked in, clearly nervous. As Rav went through his chart, he realized this man--Nick--was a faint risk, and already excitement began building in Rav's body. The conversation was easy, and Rav even felt charming. He found himself wondering if he could be happy in a relationship with someone like Nick--shy, unintimidating--but then he started closing up thinking about having to tell Nick about his past.
No, it wasn't going to happen.
But then, the next day when he was getting his morning coffee, he saw Nick there in the coffee shop, and Rav's stomach lit up with butterflies.
Damn it, Rav thought, realizing he wasn't going to forgive himself if he didn't take this opportunity. Besides, in all likelihood, Nick would turn him down. It was, of course, possible that Nick wasn't interested in men.
While he sat at a table in the back, casually watching Nick, Rav drafted a number of notes he might give Nick on his way out.
Hey, we should talk sometime. Okay, but where? Rav crossed it out.
I liked drawing your blood. Want to catch a movie sometime? That made him sound like a vampire, and he wasn't sure he wanted to take Nick to a dark theater anyway. Rav crossed it out.
Finally, he settled on something. Good to see you again. If you like to dance, I go to this class on Saturday mornings. Rav wrote the address and the time and folded the piece of paper. As he finished his coffee, Rav got up and walked over to Nick's table. Rav was almost certain that Nick hadn't seen him yet, but as he dropped off the note, he paused, and gods above, Rav had the impulse to wink. He left quickly after that.
I invited someone to contact improv class, Rav texted Hannah, proud of himself. He might not show, but you know, it's progress.
That's a great first date activity! Hannah said.
Not a date, Rav sent back, but he was smiling.
Except, on Saturday morning, Nick was there. "Hey, thanks for the invite," Nick said, smiling wide. "I've never done this before, but I looked it up online, and it looks amazing!"
Rav found himself smiling a little as he stretched, completely unsure what to do about this turn of events.
Nick continued, "You know, I feel silly about this, but I don't think you ever told me your name."
"Rav," he said, and then the music started. For the most part, Rav kept to himself during class, dancing to his own rhythms and disengaging quickly when others got close to him. But, he'd been working up the nerve to dance with others, and now that Nick was here...
About halfway through class, when Rav thought Nick was trying to catch Rav's attention, he let Nick get close, and they spent several songs dancing near each other--their hands almost touching. The electric sensation in Rav's stomach spread all through his body, and he found himself smiling, happy. It was a strange feeling, and he didn't want it to end.
At the end of the class, Rav drained the rest of his water bottle and went to gather his things. Nick came with him. Rav thought Nick might want something from him, so he asked, "Think you'll come again?"
"I'd like to! Would that be okay?" Nick asked.
Rav smiled. "Yeah, come all you like." He thought Nick was maybe a little disappointed with that response, but Rav couldn't think of a better one.
Sure enough, Nick showed up to the next class. And the next one. And the next. They had begun touching their hands together as they danced by the fourth class, and after that, Rav texted Hannah.
I think I have to tell him about what I did, Hannah. But I don't know how.
Invite him to a neutral location, and just be honest! Remember--why is this relevant? Tell him how you feel!
Easier said than done, Rav thought.
At the fifth class, Rav wore his favorite shirt--one he knew showed off his biceps nicely--and started dancing alone, but when he saw Nick, he drifted nearer, doing his best to sense into Nick's energy. Nick was smiling, excited and swaying in perfect time to the music, happy to be drifting nearer to Rav as well. Soon, their hands were playing together, weaving in time with the rhythm. As the songs switched from one to the next, Rav found it more and more tempting to get close to Nick. He brushed his hip against Nick's hip and reached around to Nick's back with one hand, keeping perfect rhythm. It was less intimate than other things Rav had witnessed people do at contact improv, but it was more than Rav had ever done. The sensation was ecstasy, and Rav could feel the familiar happiness he felt with Nick coming over him. Nick seemed to be reflecting it back at him, and they danced closer and closer. Rav started breathing heavier and heavier, enjoying the sensation of an erection building and not caring for once if anyone might see it in his sweatpants.
But then, Nick's thigh brushed up against Rav's length, sending a shudder of sparks quickly followed by a darkening of Rav's vision and a sensation of utter horror as a heavy pit of guilt settled into his stomach. Immediately, Rav broke contact with Nick and left the room, needing to calm down. He sat on the benches outside the class, still breathing heavily, trying to sort out what had happened. After a few moments, Nick followed him out.
"Hey, are you okay? Do you need anything?"
Rav didn't want to talk to him, but he knew he had to say something.
Turning away from Nick, he said, "No... I'm just..." Finally, he turned and faced Nick, looking intensely into Nick's eyes. "I'm attracted to you."
Nick looked taken aback, placing a hand on his chest in surprise, but then he chuckled a little. "Oh..." Nick said, "I'm glad the feeling is mutual."
Rav shook his head, angry at himself for not communicating clearly. Nick couldn't see what the problem was.
"There's too many people around," Rav said quietly, looking at the ground.
"We could do contact improv somewhere private sometime if you want," Nick offered, and Rav looked up at him, daring to be hopeful, but it felt like a dream.
"That... that would be nice," Rav said. Nick pulled out his phone and asked for Rav's number, and Rav gave it to him. But, soon after, he left long before the class was over.
--
Rav arrived a few minutes after their agreed-upon time, having gotten caught up on his phone in an effort not to be early. But, when he entered, Nick wasn't there yet either.
Well, if he stands me up, that would make this easy, Rav thought.
He questioned the wisdom of ordering something for himself or waiting for Nick, eyeing the tables and the cashier. He didn't want the staff to think he was loitering.
"Decaf americano, please. No room." He might have ordered for Nick, too, if he had known what Nick had been drinking the other day, but he hadn't bothered to ask.
Rav found a table in the back corner of the coffee shop, away from the windows. He settled with his back to the wall, which would give Nick plenty of access to the exit, should he need it. Rav sighed heavily, waiting for the staff to call his name. He couldn't help thinking about what Nick's reaction to all this might be.
He pulled out the sticky note he had written himself.
-landscape
-five years ago...
-no relationships
-therapists
-ready to try
*Remember--why is this relevant?*
When he saw Nick walk in, Rav put the sticky note back in his pocket, stood up, and calmly walked over, nodding in greeting with his hands in his black pleather jacket pockets. Approaching the counter together, Rav said, "It's on me." That way, at least he wouldn't feel like he had wasted Nick's money as well as his time.
Whatever the reason, Rav found himself relaxing and opening up around patients who thought they might faint. He wanted to be reassuring and attentive, charismatic and tender. He enjoyed that he needed to spend a little extra time with them to make sure they wouldn't have a reaction, liked that he had more permission to get them anything they needed. And, maybe, just maybe, he felt some thrill in the idea that something could go terribly wrong--but didn't.
Sure, there were times when Rav fucked up. And maybe times when there was nothing Rav could have done. But, those days were few and far between, and he could honestly say that, most days, he liked his job.
He certainly liked his job more than his home life, that was for sure. He often didn't know what to do with himself and would end up down YouTube rabbit holes that led no way. "How to come back from a mistake?" never really yielded positive results. But, he did manage to find a therapist that would take his insurance, and after a few sessions, he finally told her what happened.
"I was at a party with some friends in college, and we were all trashed. There was a girl who had been drinking more than anyone else, and she was... flirting pretty heavily. One of my friends dared me to take her to bed, and I... did." Admitting this to someone was terrifying, and he expected at any moment for his therapist to tell him she was going to call the police, but instead, she kept listening. "She didn't remember anything in the morning, but she seemed upset and left quickly. I didn't think about it much at all after that until I came across some memes about safe sex, and..." Rav couldn't meet the therapist's eyes even though the call was over Zoom. "...I realized what I'd done. What I was. I haven't been able to get back in contact with her--I don't even know her last name--and I've sworn off relationships until I can figure this out. It's just... it's been three years now, and I..." Rav tried not to cry, and he could feel his stony expression closing in. Gods, he hated himself for this. It was such a stupid, stupid thing to do. "Should I... do you think I belong in prison?"
The therapist was quiet for a long time. Finally, she said, "I don't think I know of anyone who was better off having gone to prison. If you really want to work on this in yourself, you have to forgive yourself. You have to go back to that memory and find a way to do things differently, or at least make it right."
For over a year, they worked with the Internal Family Systems model of therapy, trying to unlock all the reasons why Rav had done what he did. He came out of most of those sessions feeling raw and overwhelmed, but he was starting to believe that it might be possible for him to rebuild his life. Maybe, just maybe, he could try again one day.
Eventually, when he confessed to his therapist that he was still afraid of sex, she asked him, "Have you ever heard of surrogate partner therapy?" Rav had done a lot of research, and though it was in a legal gray area, it sounded like the safest way for him to start recovering from this mess. "Be completely honest with her. Let her make her own decisions about what she thinks is safe. And I'll work directly with her, too. It's going to be all right."
His therapist gave him some recommendations for surrogate partners in his area, and finally, he took the plunge and called one--Hannah.
He'd been meeting with Hannah for four months now, and he was nearing the end of his set of sessions with her. She said he was ready to try a real relationship, especially after he'd started going to a contact improv dance class on his days off, but Rav wasn't so sure.
At work one day, a young man walked in, clearly nervous. As Rav went through his chart, he realized this man--Nick--was a faint risk, and already excitement began building in Rav's body. The conversation was easy, and Rav even felt charming. He found himself wondering if he could be happy in a relationship with someone like Nick--shy, unintimidating--but then he started closing up thinking about having to tell Nick about his past.
No, it wasn't going to happen.
But then, the next day when he was getting his morning coffee, he saw Nick there in the coffee shop, and Rav's stomach lit up with butterflies.
Damn it, Rav thought, realizing he wasn't going to forgive himself if he didn't take this opportunity. Besides, in all likelihood, Nick would turn him down. It was, of course, possible that Nick wasn't interested in men.
While he sat at a table in the back, casually watching Nick, Rav drafted a number of notes he might give Nick on his way out.
Hey, we should talk sometime. Okay, but where? Rav crossed it out.
I liked drawing your blood. Want to catch a movie sometime? That made him sound like a vampire, and he wasn't sure he wanted to take Nick to a dark theater anyway. Rav crossed it out.
Finally, he settled on something. Good to see you again. If you like to dance, I go to this class on Saturday mornings. Rav wrote the address and the time and folded the piece of paper. As he finished his coffee, Rav got up and walked over to Nick's table. Rav was almost certain that Nick hadn't seen him yet, but as he dropped off the note, he paused, and gods above, Rav had the impulse to wink. He left quickly after that.
I invited someone to contact improv class, Rav texted Hannah, proud of himself. He might not show, but you know, it's progress.
That's a great first date activity! Hannah said.
Not a date, Rav sent back, but he was smiling.
Except, on Saturday morning, Nick was there. "Hey, thanks for the invite," Nick said, smiling wide. "I've never done this before, but I looked it up online, and it looks amazing!"
Rav found himself smiling a little as he stretched, completely unsure what to do about this turn of events.
Nick continued, "You know, I feel silly about this, but I don't think you ever told me your name."
"Rav," he said, and then the music started. For the most part, Rav kept to himself during class, dancing to his own rhythms and disengaging quickly when others got close to him. But, he'd been working up the nerve to dance with others, and now that Nick was here...
About halfway through class, when Rav thought Nick was trying to catch Rav's attention, he let Nick get close, and they spent several songs dancing near each other--their hands almost touching. The electric sensation in Rav's stomach spread all through his body, and he found himself smiling, happy. It was a strange feeling, and he didn't want it to end.
At the end of the class, Rav drained the rest of his water bottle and went to gather his things. Nick came with him. Rav thought Nick might want something from him, so he asked, "Think you'll come again?"
"I'd like to! Would that be okay?" Nick asked.
Rav smiled. "Yeah, come all you like." He thought Nick was maybe a little disappointed with that response, but Rav couldn't think of a better one.
Sure enough, Nick showed up to the next class. And the next one. And the next. They had begun touching their hands together as they danced by the fourth class, and after that, Rav texted Hannah.
I think I have to tell him about what I did, Hannah. But I don't know how.
Invite him to a neutral location, and just be honest! Remember--why is this relevant? Tell him how you feel!
Easier said than done, Rav thought.
At the fifth class, Rav wore his favorite shirt--one he knew showed off his biceps nicely--and started dancing alone, but when he saw Nick, he drifted nearer, doing his best to sense into Nick's energy. Nick was smiling, excited and swaying in perfect time to the music, happy to be drifting nearer to Rav as well. Soon, their hands were playing together, weaving in time with the rhythm. As the songs switched from one to the next, Rav found it more and more tempting to get close to Nick. He brushed his hip against Nick's hip and reached around to Nick's back with one hand, keeping perfect rhythm. It was less intimate than other things Rav had witnessed people do at contact improv, but it was more than Rav had ever done. The sensation was ecstasy, and Rav could feel the familiar happiness he felt with Nick coming over him. Nick seemed to be reflecting it back at him, and they danced closer and closer. Rav started breathing heavier and heavier, enjoying the sensation of an erection building and not caring for once if anyone might see it in his sweatpants.
But then, Nick's thigh brushed up against Rav's length, sending a shudder of sparks quickly followed by a darkening of Rav's vision and a sensation of utter horror as a heavy pit of guilt settled into his stomach. Immediately, Rav broke contact with Nick and left the room, needing to calm down. He sat on the benches outside the class, still breathing heavily, trying to sort out what had happened. After a few moments, Nick followed him out.
"Hey, are you okay? Do you need anything?"
Rav didn't want to talk to him, but he knew he had to say something.
Turning away from Nick, he said, "No... I'm just..." Finally, he turned and faced Nick, looking intensely into Nick's eyes. "I'm attracted to you."
Nick looked taken aback, placing a hand on his chest in surprise, but then he chuckled a little. "Oh..." Nick said, "I'm glad the feeling is mutual."
Rav shook his head, angry at himself for not communicating clearly. Nick couldn't see what the problem was.
"There's too many people around," Rav said quietly, looking at the ground.
"We could do contact improv somewhere private sometime if you want," Nick offered, and Rav looked up at him, daring to be hopeful, but it felt like a dream.
"That... that would be nice," Rav said. Nick pulled out his phone and asked for Rav's number, and Rav gave it to him. But, soon after, he left long before the class was over.
--
Rav arrived a few minutes after their agreed-upon time, having gotten caught up on his phone in an effort not to be early. But, when he entered, Nick wasn't there yet either.
Well, if he stands me up, that would make this easy, Rav thought.
He questioned the wisdom of ordering something for himself or waiting for Nick, eyeing the tables and the cashier. He didn't want the staff to think he was loitering.
"Decaf americano, please. No room." He might have ordered for Nick, too, if he had known what Nick had been drinking the other day, but he hadn't bothered to ask.
Rav found a table in the back corner of the coffee shop, away from the windows. He settled with his back to the wall, which would give Nick plenty of access to the exit, should he need it. Rav sighed heavily, waiting for the staff to call his name. He couldn't help thinking about what Nick's reaction to all this might be.
He pulled out the sticky note he had written himself.
-landscape
-five years ago...
-no relationships
-therapists
-ready to try
*Remember--why is this relevant?*
When he saw Nick walk in, Rav put the sticky note back in his pocket, stood up, and calmly walked over, nodding in greeting with his hands in his black pleather jacket pockets. Approaching the counter together, Rav said, "It's on me." That way, at least he wouldn't feel like he had wasted Nick's money as well as his time.